Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Historical Mysteries Questionnaire

There was a questionnaire about historical mystery preferences in a recent DorothyL digest. I thought they made good questions for a blog. Here are the first two. I'll post the others tomorrow.

1. What historical period(s) do you most enjoy reading about: ancient world, Dark Ages, medieval, Renaissance/Elizabethan/Tudor, 18th century, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian, World War I era, 1920s, Depression era, World War II era, Cold War, other? If you enjoy reading historicals about cultures other than English/American/European, which are your favorites?

I enjoy reading novels set in ancient times, the Dark Ages, and the medieval and Renaissance periods. The earlier, the better, actually. I mostly lean towards European culture, but as I think about it, those are the ones I've come across via the library and used book stores.
I'm only too happy to learn about novels set in ancient times. I also enjoy reading general fiction set in prehistoric, ancient and medieval times as well.

2. Which books/series/authors from the time periods you enjoy most are your favorites? From any time period? Why?
I have so many favorites from each time period about which I read. It seems sometimes that my favorite is whatever I happen to be reading at any given moment.

Most recently I have discovered two series set in ancient Rome that I am thoroughly enjoying:
  • Lindsey Davis' series featuring 'informer' Marcus Didius Falco and set during the time of the Emperor Vespasian (ca 60BC).
  • Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series featuring the 'finder' Gordianus and set in the 1st century BC.
I've also enjoyed the John the Eunuch series by Mary Reed and Eric Mayer, set in 6th century Constantinople during the reign of the Emperor Justinian. And I read every single book I can get my hands on by Peter Tremayne (Sister Fidelma of Cashel, 7th century Ireland), Margaret Frazer (Sister Frevisse, 15th century English nun), Peter Ellis' Brother Cadfael series, of course, and Sharon Kay Penman's mysteries featuring Justin de Quincy and set in 12th century England during the time of Elinor of Aquitane. These are just a few of my favorites and I am discovering new ones all the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment